King has won the Edgar and Creasey awards (forA Grave Talent), the Nero (A Monstrous Regiment of Women), the Macavity (for Folly), and the Lambda for The Art of Detection; her nominations include the Agatha, the Orange, the Barry, and two more Edgars. She received an honorary doctorate from the Church Divinity School of the Pacific, was Guest of Honor for the 2001 Left Coast Crime, was named 2006 Artist of the Year in Santa Cruz County, and was the Guest of Honor at the 2010 BoucherCon and the 2013 Malice Domestic.
- A Grave Talent: Edgar Award for best first novel from the Mystery Writers of America; John Creasey award from the Crime Writers’ Association (Britain); nominated for Macavity and Anthony awards.
- The Beekeeper’s Apprentice: nominated for the Agatha best novel award; Notable Young Adult book and Outstanding Book for the College Bound from the American Library Association
- A Monstrous Regiment of Women: The Nero Wolfe award, best novel.
- With Child: nominated for the Edgar best novel award and the Orange Award, UK.
- Folly: Macavity award from Mystery Readers International.
- “Paleta Man” (from Irreconcilable Differences): nominated for Edgar best short story award.
- The Art of Detection: LAMBDA Literary Award for Best Lesbian Mystery.
- Honorary doctorate from the Church Divinity School of the Pacific, 1997.
- Gail Rich Award for the Arts, 1998. Also read the article in the Santa Cruz Sentinel.
- Guest of Honor, Left Coast Crime XII, 2001.
- Artist of the Year, Santa Cruz County, 2006.
- Jack Reacher Award, BoucherCon, 2008.
- Inducted into the Baker Street Irregulars as “The Red Circle,” 2010.
- US Guest of Honor, BoucherCon 2010.
- UC Santa Cruz 45+5 Prominent and Influential Alumni
- US Guest of Honor, Malice Domestic 2013.